• Leeds Rhinos
  • 28 - 44

  • Hull FC
  • Leeds Rhinos
  • Hull FC
12th May 2006 | KO 20:00 | Emerald Headingley | Super League

Leeds Rhinos 28 Hull FC 44

Hull have inflicted an embarrassing 44-28 defeat on the Rhinos at Headingley Carnegie with former Rhino Gareth Raynor scoring a hat trick.

Hull arrived at Headingley Carnegie in a rich vein of form under new coach Peter Sharp but they were looking for their first win over the Rhinos in eleven attempts in Super League. The visitors obviously decided to put young winger Lee Smith under pressure in the early stages and it nearly worked for them. Firstly, Smith got too much on the ball as he tried to trap it with his foot and handed possession to Hull inside the Leeds half.

However, he recovered well and two tackles later forced his opposite number into touch. He was then grateful to Richard Mathers and Jamie Jones-Buchanan for a brilliant ball and all tackle to keep Hull out. However, the pressure eventually told and after four offloads from the Hull backline a kick through by McMenemy was allowed to bounce and Richard Horne was on hand to pick up the ball and touch down. Cooke added the conversion to make it 6-0 after ten minutes. The Rhinos hit back six minutes later with a brilliantly worked score. The move was started by skipper Jamie Peacock who bust through a tackle on half way before bursting 20 metres down field. Rob Burrow took Peacock’s offload and sprinted through a gap, before passing back inside to Diskin. The Leeds hooker was just tackled short but he flicked a pass behind him to Richard Mathers to touch down. Burrow added the conversion to level the score at 6-6.

The game was a very even contest with both teams asking plenty of questions on defence especially. The Rhinos looked to have penned Hull deep inside their half in one set only for the ball to be moved wide and Blacklock hacked downfield. The Rhinos players appealed that the ball had gone out instead the touch judge said Blacklock had been held back and a penalty was awarded. Hull kicked to touch and three tackles later Shayne McMenemy was on hand to charge through from six metres out. Cooke added the conversion to make it 12-6 after 21 minutes. Hull were in again six minutes later when Ewan Dowes made a lung bursting run upfield. Mathers produced a great cover tackle but it only stopped an inevitable score as the Rhinos defence backtracked. Cooke threw a cut out pass across the line which Scott Donald tried to intercept but just missed allowing Raynor the simplest of run ins to score. Cooke added the conversion to make it 18-6 after 27 minutes.

Things got worse for the Rhinos after 35 minutes jsut as they looked like getting back in the game. The Rhinos were on the attack deep in Hull territory but a loose pass was picked up by Garreth Carvell who broke 40 metres down field. Mathers was again the last line of defence but Hull moved the ball wide. Donald appeared to pull Yeaman into touch but the touch judge again waved claims away and play continued. Hull moved into centre field before a kick back across the face of play caught everyone cold and Donald’s despairing dive could not knock the ball out of Raynor’s grasp as he touched down for his second try. Cooke again converted to make it 24-6 at half time. The Rhinos came out fired up at the start of the second half but they were soon hit by two sucker punches. Firstly, Gareth Raynor scored out wide to complete his hat trick after a break by Graeme Horne. Then three minutes later Super League’s leading try scorer Kirk Yeaman glided through untouched to score from ten metres out. Cooke added the conversion to make the scoreline an embarrassing 36-6 after 47 minutes.

A bad night got worse for the Rhinos when Richard Mathers had to be carried from the field after suffering a leg injury. Lee Smith reverted to full back with Gareth Ellis coming on at centre and he nearly scored with his first touch but just failed to control McGuire’s cross field kick as he leaped for it over the line. Leeds did get a score after 57 minutes when Danny McGuire broke the line 45 metres out then outsprinted four would be tacklers to touchdown. Burrow though made a hash of the conversion and the Rhinos remained well adrift at 36-10. Buoyed by that score the Rhinos continued to press and got another try, this time created by McGuire. Good work by the forwards took the Rhinos upfield then McGuire ran at the Hull defence before a clever reverse offload to Senior who galloped in for the try from 25 metres out. Burrow was successful this time with the conversion to make it 36-16. Hull managed to stem the flow when Paul Cooke kicked a penalty after 69 minutes to make it 38-16. However, the Rhinos continued to battle and Senior rampaged his way through for his second try of the night after 74 minutes. Burrow added the conversion to make it 38-22 but with time running out. Hull sealed the game in the last minute when Sid Domic produced a sublime offload on the Main Stand touchline to set Nathan Blacklock away and he raced down the wing to score. In the final second of the game Lee Smith crossed for a late consolation for the Rhinos but it could not hide a terrible night for Tony Smith and his team as they lost 44-28 at home.

Team Performance







Player Performance

Richie Mathers1000000
Scott Donald0000000
Chev Walker0000000
Keith Senior2000000
Lee Smith1000000
Danny McGuire1000000
Rob Burrow MBE0400000
Jamie Peacock MBE0000000
Matt Diskin0000000
Mark O'Neill0000000
Willie Poching0000000
Jamie Jones-Buchanan0000000
Gareth Ellis0000000
Ryan Bailey0000000
Shane Millard0000000
Nick Scruton0000000
Carl Ablett0000000
Stats Key
  • TR: Tries
  • RD: Red Cards
  • GL: Goals
  • I+: Interchange On
  • DG: Drop Goals
  • I-: Interchange Off
  • YC: Yellow Cards