On this Day – 10th August

ON THIS DAY in 1946 the Great Britain team were in Auckland to play New Zealand for the first time since 1936. Just one Leeds man was in the side for the game – Ike Owens who claimed his fourth and final cap for the team. Ike had made his debut against Australia in the First Test that year, having come back from taking part in the Second World War, and had played in the following matches and scored a try in the final Test. Great Britain had come into the game having retained the Ashes but were faced with disappointment with a 8-13 defeat in this one off Test match.

ON THIS DAY in 1969 Carl Hall was born. Carl joined the Rhinos in 1995 from Bradford and made his debut in the 1995-96 season. In his first season he made 6 starts and scored 2 tries. His first try for the club came against Castleford in the 28-26 victory at Headingley.

He was part of the Leeds squad who entered the Super League and during the first season he started 10 games and came on twice as substitute, scoring 6 tries. Carl began his rugby career with New Zealand Rugby League side Linwood ARL, from here he moved to England to join Doncaster in 1989, in his first season he was a first team regular, playing 30 games and registering 16 tries. The following season he played an equally important role for Doncaster with his 27 appearances and 9 tries. He enjoyed a further two seasons with the Yorkshire side and notched up a further 24 tries in 33 appearances. It was while at Doncaster that he was spotted by Bradford Bulls and joined them for the 1994-95 season and in that debut year he played 24 times and scored 11 tries.

ON THIS DAY in 1974 Great Britain were once again in Auckland to play their final test game against the New Zealanders. The Lions had lost the first game and won the second so all was to play for coming into the last game. Leeds man Les Dyl collected his fifth cap in the game having made his debut earlier in the year and he also scored his 3rd try for the side to help Great Britain to a 20-0 win.

ON THIS DAY back in 1997 Leeds ended a winning run in Super League with a defeat away to Bradford Bulls. The Rhinos had won their last four league games – as had the Bulls, however both teams were also coming into the game having lost in the World Club Championship a week earlier. Marvin Golden was the Rhinos only try scorer in the game and Iestyn Harris added two goals, but Bradford – who finished top that year were too strong for the Rhinos and two tries from Robbie Paul and one each from James Lowes and former Leeds man Jonathan Scales saw the Bulls take a 22-8 victory.

ON THIS DAY in 2002 Leeds played Wigan at Headingley. The Rhinos had lost to Bradford a week earlier and were in 4th position. Wigan had won their last three and were one position above in 3rd. It was Wigan who took the lead in this game with a try from Terry Newton on 10 minutes, and Rhinos fans had to wait nearly half an hour for their team to get on the scoreboard through Francis Cummins, Matt Diskin then added another 4 minutes later. Jamie Ainsclough then scored a try just before half time for Wigan and added a second after the kick off, followed by Andy Farrel on 54 minutes. Tonie Carroll and Keith Senior both scored tries for the Rhinos in the last five minutes but Adrian Lam also scored for the Warriors and Leeds lost 24-36.

ON THIS DAY in 2007, Leeds took on Salford at Headingley and ran out comfortable 52-14 winners.

After defeating Harlequins by 50 points the week before, Leeds scored over 50 points five days later against Salford. Jamie Thackray and Danny McGuire both scored twice, with Ali Lauitiiti, Kylie Leuluai, Scott Donald, Ryan Hall and Keith Senior also scoring in a 52-14 thrashing.

ON THIS DAY in 2012 Leeds had another big win, this time against Widnes Vikings, winning 68-24 as the home side ran in 12 tries.

Ryan Bailey, Ryan Hall (2), Shaun Lunt, Zak Hardaker, Richard Moore and Brett Delaney all went over for Leeds with Stefan Marsh and Frank Winterstein scoring for Widnes in the first half.

Cameron Phelps and Marsh again gave the visitors the merest glimmer of hope but it was not to last.

Darrell Griffin, Kylie Leuluai, Stevie Ward, Hardaker and Jimmy Keinhorst all scored to give the hosts the win.

ON THIS DAY in 2017, Leeds lost heavily at Wakefield 34-6 in the Super 8s and hopes of winning the Grand Final seemed a long way off following a nightmare first half when they found themselves 26-6 down at the break.

ON THIS DAY in 1961 former Leeds player Andy Gregory was born in Wigan.

At the age of 17 he signed for Widnes having previously had trials with Salford, where his father had played.

In his debut season, he won the Challenge Cup with the Chemics, defeating Hull KR 18-9 at Wembley and crossing for a try. In total, he played 141 games for Widnes scoring 43 tries, and earning GB caps while at the club.

At the start of the 1984–85 season, Widnes sold Gregory to Warrington for £75,000. Before leaving Warrington in 1986, he played 60 games as they won the 1986 Premiership Trophy Final against Halifax.

Gregory finally signed for his home town club of Wigan in 1986 for a reported then world record fee of £130,000.  Gregory had a successful career at Wigan, playing 182 times for the club and winning awards including the World Club Challenge, five Challenge Cups (the first player to do so), four Championships, two Regal Trophies, two Lancashire Cups, the John Player Trophy and a Premiership. He also became the first player to appear in eight Challenge Cup finals. Whilst at Wigan he had spell at Illwarra Steelers.

Gregory was transferred to Leeds in 1992, after feeling he had no option but to leave Wigan when they gave him the terms of his contract extension following his return from the Great Britain Lions tour of Australasia. He was sold for just £15,000. Gregory failed to achieve the same heights at Leeds as he did at Wigan, something not helped by the journey from home and successive injuries, and was then transferred to Salford after two seasons.

Gregory joined Salford for the 1994 season for a fee of £10,000, and in 1995 took on a player-coach role, finishing his playing career.