On this Day – 26th July

ON THIS DAY in 1974 former Leeds player Jonathan Scales was born. Jonathan was signed from Gosforth Rugby Union and spent three seasons with the Rhinos making his debut on in the 1992-93 season. He made just one appearance that year, however the following year he featured 12 times and scored his first try for the club. He played his last game for Leeds in a 38-10 win over Wakefield, before moving to Bradford. After his spell with the Bulls – where he won the Super League title in 1997, he moved back to rugby union and back to Leeds to join Leeds Tykes for the 1998-99 season and scored 4 tries on his debut against Exeter and went on to score a further 6 that campaign in just 10 games. When he left the Tykes at the end of 1999 he moved to France to continue his rugby with Racing Club Paris. Gary Mercer then brought Jonathan back to Super League to play with Halifax, but he was unable to establish himself as a first team regular.

ON THIS DAY in 2002 Leeds Rhinos played at Headingley against Salford City Reds. Leeds had played just five days earlier against Halifax and had won there, Salford however were struggling in the league and were later relegated that year. Salford, though did not make the game easy for the Rhinos and the game was decided with a 77th minute drop goal after Leeds had let a 34-16 lead slip.

Former Leeds man Graham Holroyd scored two goals to help give Salford the lead, but Chev Walker and Keith Senior brought Leeds back in it. Francis Cummins, Barrie McDermott and Matt Diskin gave the Rhinos a 28-10 lead before Graham Holroyd’s scored a converted try for Salford. Ryan Sheridan then scored a try for Leeds which should have sealed the win, but Salford then staged a comeback and Leeds were left to take the oncoming pressure with only a Matt Diskin try on 72 minutes helping to keep them in it.

On 77 minutes the side were level but Ryan Sheridan scored a drop goal to ensure two points for the Rhinos.

ON THIS DAY in 2008, Leeds were knocked out of the Challenge Cup in the semi final against St Helens at Huddersfield.

Sean Long starred for the holders, kicking 10 points and setting up tries for Chris Flannery and Leon Pryce. A Jon Wilkin score made it 18-2 after the half-time break before the Rhinos fought back with two quick tries from Ali Lauitiiti and Scott Donald.

A late effort from Bryn Hargreaves all but sealed the victory for Saints after Leeds had lost Rob Burrow and Clinton Toopi to injury during the clash.

ON THIS DAY in 2013, Leeds travelled to Belle Vue to face Wakefield Trinity in Super League action.

After going in 6-6 at half-time thanks to teenage winger James Duckworth’s debut score, the Rhinos were then stung by a second try from hooker Paul Aiton.

But Ben Jones-Bishop and Joel Moon scored before Carl Ablett and Rob Burrow crossed in the last six minutes.

Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield kicked five conversions and a drop goal.

His all-important one-pointer was the only thing separating the sides until Burrow scored in the final minute.

ON THIS DAY in 2015, Leeds defeated Catalans Dragons at Headingley as a hat trick from Tom Briscoe on his return to the Rhinos side helped ensure the Rhinos went into the Super 8s in pole position having secured top spot at the end of the regular season.