On this Day – 18th May

On the 18th May in years gone by the Rhinos have played Oldham, Huddersfield and Wigan in Super League.

ON THIS DAY in 1997 the Rhinos took on Oldham in Super League. The team had lost just three league games over the season and were coming into this game on the back of wins over Paris St Germain and Salford. In the previous game to this fixture against Salford, Phil Hassan had scored two tries and in this game he was once again in try scoring form crossing Oldham’s line on two occasions. Anthony Farrell also grabbed a brace of tries as did Iestyn Harris who also landed 4 goals. Paul Sterling also scored a try and Graham Holroyd kicked 3 conversions and a drop goal, giving the Rhinos a 43-26 win. The game marked Andy Hay’s debut for the club.

ON THIS DAY in 2001 Leeds recorded their second biggest league win of the season to that date against Huddersfield. Leeds had already managed an amazing 74-16 win over St Helens just two games earlier, but had then followed this up with defeat to Bradford Bulls. In this match Barrie McDermott, Mark Calderwood, Robbie Mears, Iestyn Harris, Keith Senior, Francis Cummins and Anthony Farrell all scored a try each and Marcus St Hillaire touched down twice and Iestyn Harris was successful with the boot on 8 occasions, to give the team a 52-46 win.

ON THIS DAY in 2002 Mark Calderwood scored twice for Leeds Rhinos as they recorded a 28-22 win at Wigan Warriors, which moved the team into second place in Super League with their first win at The JJB Stadium. Calderwood opened the scoring inside 58 seconds and the lead went on the change hands seven times, Andrew Farrell pegging Leeds back with a penalty before Kris Radlinski touched down and Farrell made the scoreline 8-4. Ben Walker and Farrell traded penalties before Keith Senior gave Leeds the half time lead after Brian Carney allowed Ryan Sheridan’s kick to bounce. Stephen Wild gave Wigan the lead back on 48 minutes before Karl Pratt touched down Sheridan’s grubber, with David Hodgson hitting back immediately to give the Warriors a 22-18 advantage. But Adrian Vowles put Leeds back in front on 66 minutes and Calderwood touched down in the corner seven minutes later to seal the win.