On this Day – 1st May

ON THIS DAY in 1999 Leeds played London Broncos in one of the most memorable Challenge Cup finals in the competitions history. In a thrilling game Leeds were able to capture the Cup for the first time in over twenty years, scoring the most tries and achieving the highest ever score in a Challenge Cup Final.

In the early stages of the game however it had looked like London were going to pull off a shock result and send Leeds back to Yorkshire without the trophy. Within five minutes of the kick off Martin Offiah had put the Broncos in front and soon after they had extended their lead through a Robbie Simpson try. Leeds though did not put their heads down and before half time they went in 12-10 in front. Iestyn Harris kicked a penalty for the Rhinos’ first points, Leroy Rivett then added a try and Brad Godden gave the team their narrow half time lead with a try just before half time.

When play resumed after the interval London were in again, this time Greg Fleming touching down for the try and Rob Smyth converting. London held onto the lead up until the 52nd minute when the game took a dramatic turn, which saw the Rhinos score 40 unanswered points. Iestyn Harris took a quick tap penalty and fed Barrie McDermott who side stepped the defence to score. Harris’ conversion putting Leeds in front. From here Leeds did not look back and soon after Rivett touched down for his second try.

Adrain Morley then set up St Hilaire for Leeds’ next try and Rivett continued his superb performance by securing a hat trick soon after. Harris and Cummins added to London’s misery with further tries before Rivett completed an amazing display, securing his name in the record book, with his fourth try of the game.

ON THIS DAY in 2006, Leeds travelled to the Halliwell Jones Stadium to take on Warrington Wolves.

The Rhinos have had a Bank Holiday nightmare at Warrington, going down 44-16 to the Wolves.

Mark O’Neill in action for Leeds at Warrington

ON THIS DAY in 2010, Leeds faced new opposition at the 2010 Magic Weekend in Edinburgh and had to fightback to beat Wakefield Trinity 34-30, thanks to a late Danny Buderus try.

ON THIS DAY in 1985, Leeds travelled to Craven Park to face Hull KR in the semi final of the Premiership Trophy. Oldham were easily accounted for in the first round and Leeds so nearly upset the Rovers party in the semi final, producing a wonderful performance to go down by just a point, 14-15, as a number of the overseas stars bade their farewell. Tries from Tony Currie, Eric Grothe and Dave Creasser, along with a goal from Kevin Dick were not enough. The Leeds team that day was: Hunt, Grothe, Creasser, Currie, Hague, Holmes, Dick, Jones, Maskill, Dickinson, Webb, Heron, Bleakley. Subs: Medley, Hill