On this Day – 28th April

ON THIS DAY in 1923 Leeds played Hull in the Challenge Cup final at Wakefield, with 29,350 people coming to watch the game. To get to the final the Loiners had beaten Leigh, Huddersfield, York and Barrow with the semi final going to a replay after the first game had ended scoreless.

Leeds’ superiority was clearly marked from the start and twenty two minutes into the game Buck scored a try, which Thompson converted to put them in the lead. Leeds’ second try came a few minutes before half time, when a typical rush by Bacon took the ball within a few yards of the Hull line. The Leeds captain then passed at the right time and Ashton and Brittain combined to outwit the defenders and Bowen then placed the ball under the posts, which Thomson once again converted.

In the second half Davies scored a try again under the posts and Thompson again added the goal. Brittain then gained a fourth try, which Thompson converted and then Ashton added the fifth, but this time Thomspon was unable to convert. Hull scored a late try but it was little more than consolation as Walmsley soon added another for Leeds which Thompson this time converted to confirm the 28-3 win.

ON THIS DAY in 1928, Leeds made an unfortunate end to their 1927-28 season, losing 15-12 to Featherstone Rovers in the Championship playoff semi-finals. In a season that saw the club finish second in the league behind Swinton, the Rhinos had a strong campaign, winning 32 games out of 42. Having beaten the Rovers three times during the season, hopes were high that Leeds could finally lift their first Championship.

Both sides would be without key players; Leeds losing Jim Brough and Joe Thompson to England’s test series against New Zealand and Australia. New Zealand international Wally Desmond was declared unfit whilst Billy Demaine and Stan Satterthwaite were ineligible to play.

ON THIS DAY, the visitors were worthy winners to face Swinton in the final. Jeff Moores and Evan Williams got on the scoresheet for Leeds, with Dan Pascoe taking over Thompson’s kicking duties, slotting both the conversions. Featherstone would lose to Swinton in the final, being nilled by the Lancashire side. Leeds’ wait for a title would go on for a further 33 years.

Jeff Moores

ON THIS DAY in 2013, the Rhinos travelled to Hull KR and ran out to a comfortable 44-10 victory over the Robins. Ryan Hall opened the scoring for Leeds, slicing down the wing to touchdown before Hull KR’s Cory Paterson brought the score level. Brett Delaney took a pass from Kevin Sinfield to dive under the posts before Zak Hardaker pounced on a grubber kick by Rob Burrow to extend the lead.

The tries kept coming for the Rhinos with Mitch Achurch powering over before half time and Joel Moon spooking the defence to score in the second half. Quick hands from Paul McShane and Chris Clarkson opened space on the left edge for Kallum Watkins to score in the corner and Ian Kirke stretched out to be the seventh different scorer for Leeds. Omari Caro scored a consolation try as Kallum Watkins ended the game with a 75-metre effort to make the final score 10-44 to Leeds.

ON THIS DAY in 2019, it was Hull KR again who were the Rhinos opponent again but this time at Emerald Headingley.

Leeds Rhinos held off a late fightback to climb above Rovers into 10th in the Super League table.

The home side produced a lightning start with four first-half tries and seemed set for an easy victory as they moved into a 28-0 lead.

Ben Crooks’ two tries gave Rovers hope, although they did not trouble Leeds until the final five minutes.

Kane Linnett and Weller Hauraki went over but, despite Leeds old boy Danny McGuire converting the second try as a drop-goal, they ran out of time.