On this Day – 12th February

On the 12th February in years gone by Leeds have been in action in the Challenge Cup against Widnes, Salford and Carlisle.

ON THIS DAY in 1983 Leeds played Widnes in the first round of the Challenge Cup. The two teams had already met twice that season, once in the league and then later in the semi final of the John Player Special competition and on both occasions the Loiners were victorious. In this match Mark Conway and Wayne Heron both scored a try each for Leeds and Paul Gill added three goals to confirm the team’s place in the next round of the Cup with a 12-6 win.

ON THIS DAY in 1984 the Loiners were once again in action in the first round of the Challenge Cup, this time coming up against Salford. This was the third game between the sides that season, with Leeds having claimed two wins in the league already over Salford. Leeds had already claimed one trophy this season, after they had defeated Widnes in the final of the John Player Special Trophy and were looking to make it to the final of the Challenge Cup for the first time since 1978. In this match Trevor Clark, Paul Prendiville, and Ian Wilkinson all touched down for a try each and David Creasser was in top form adding a try and four goals to send Leeds into the second round of the competition.

ON THIS DAY in 1989 Leeds defeated Carlisle in the second round of the Challenge Cup. In the first game, which had taken place two weeks earlier the Loiners had defeated York 28-9 to set up this home fixture. Andrew Ettinghausen, who had scored two against York, was once again on the scoreboard with a single try, Phil Ford and Ray Ashton both scored one try each and John Bentley added a brace of tries and two goals to give the Loiners a 24-4 win and a place in the third round.

Huddersfield produced an incredible defensive display to hold out the Rhinos in the second half at Headingley Carnegie but Leeds still won 20-12.

Light rain greeted the players at Headingley Carnegie for the opening game of the new season and the conditions combined with a little rustiness resulted in a fragmented opening ten minutes.