Quiz of the Season: Betfred Super League Restart
Our 2020 end of season quizzes conclude before we enter the new year. This time we are testing your knowledge for one final time in 2020 on the Rhinos’ season when Super League restarted in August.
See how many you get correct here…
1. Who did Leeds play in their first game of the restart?
Playing their rescheduled round two match, the Rhinos took on Huddersfield Giants to restart the season. In what turned out to be one of the games of the season, Leeds fought back from 26-6 down to win the match in golden point extra time.
2. Who scored Leeds' last try of the season?
Against Catalans Dragons in the Play Offs, Konrad Hurrell finished off a great fifth tackle play. Luke Gale, Richie Myler and Liam Sutcliffe combined to open up space out on the edge and prop Matt Prior provided a precise assist for the Tongan international to sneak in at the corner.
3. How many drop goals did Luke Gale kick in the League between August and November?
Gale kicked three drop goals during the second half of the Super League season. Two were kicked in games against Huddersfield Giants (one coming in golden point extra time) and he was also on target in the 41-16 win over Hull KR as the Rhinos recorded back to back wins against the Robins in the League and Challenge Cup.
4. After signing from Toronto in August, how many League appearances did Bodene Thompson make for Leeds in 2020?
Thompson featured in all but one league game (11) since he debuted for the club against Wigan Warriors. A favourite in the Rhinos camp, he signed a two year contract following a successful first season in blue and amber.
5. Who scored Leeds' only try against Warrington in October?
Academy product Sam Walters scored the Rhinos' only try against Warrington when the two sides met at the Halliwell Jones Stadium in round 16. Having made his debut against Catalans a few weeks before, the 6 foot 5 second rower crashed his way over from short range to grab his first senior try for the club.
6. How many hat tricks did Leeds score against Salford in their 50-12 win?
Richie Myler and Ash Handley ran riot against the Red Devils, both scoring three tries each in a dominant display. It was only Leeds' fourth game back in action since the restart and following defeats to St Helens and Wigan, the result against Salford ignited the Rhinos to win their next four in all competitions.
7. Where did Leeds finish in the Super League table?
By the end of the regular season, Leeds finished fifth in the table on win percentage (58.82). Catalans' eight wins out of 13 games secured fourth place for the Dragons (and a Play Off clash with the Rhinos), while Hull FC leapfrogged Huddersfield to finish sixth.
8. Including 2020, how many times have Leeds and Catalans met in the Play Offs?
November's meeting between the Rhinos and Dragons was only the fourth time the two sides had met in the Play Offs. It was only the second time that the Dragons have been the home side after the Rhinos defeated the French outfit on their way to lifting the Super League trophy in 2012.
9. How many League tries did Ash Handley score when the season restarted?
Super League's top try scorer Handley scored eleven of his 14 tries after the season restarted in August. Hat tricks against Salford and Hull FC were highlights for the winger while he also cross the whitewash against Wakefield three times over two matches (once in a 30-6 defeat and twice in a 20-18 win) and twice against Hull KR in a 41-16 win.
10. Who scored the game clinching try against Wakefield at the Mobile Rocket Stadium?
Brad Dwyer's dart out of dummy half saw the hooker secure an important win for Leeds against Wakefield Trinity at the Mobile Rocket Stadium in the final game of the regular season. Having been defeated 30-6 only four days before by Chris Chester's side, the Rhinos came out firing in the second match; Dwyer's try helping seal a 20-18 result.
11. How many combined League appearances did Featherstone Rovers loanees Brett Ferres and James Harrison make for Leeds?
Signed for the remainder of the season on loan to bolster the Leeds pack, Harrison and Ferres made eight combined appearances in blue and amber. Harrison featured for the first time in a Leeds shirt against Catalans, St Helens, Wakefield and Warrington while Ferres pulled on the Leeds shirt for a second time in his career and made four appearances.
12. Which opponent filled in for Castleford against Leeds 24 hours before the game at the start of October?
After a number of positive COVID tests in the Tigers camp, Hull FC, who were missing 12 players of their own, stepped in to fill the schedule and take on the Rhinos, pushing the game forward from the end of the month.
13. Which three Leeds players were called up to Shaun Wane's preliminary England squad in November?
Please select 3 correct answers
Luke Gale, Harry Newman and Ash Handley were all included in Shaun Wane's revised England squad in November after great seasons. Gale, who took over the captain's armband after Stevie Ward's injury, had been a stand out all season whilst Newman was announced as Super League's Young Player of the Year and Handley finished as the League's top try scorer.
14. Who scored their first Leeds try against St Helens in round 17?
Playing in his third professional game, academy winger Liam Tindall grabbed a late consolation try against the eventual Grand Final winners at the Totally Wicked Stadium.
15. How many League points did Leeds score in the League between August and November
Collectively, Leeds have scored 269 League points in 14 games between 2nd August and 13th November. Highlights included large wins over Hull FC and Salford as well as close results against Wakefield Trinity, Castleford and Huddersfield.