Quiz of the Season: Pre Lockdown
Our 2020 Betfred Super League end of season quizzes continue as we test your knowledge of what happened to the Rhinos back in pre season and the opening rounds of the Betfred Super League, before the season was suspended due to coronavirus.
See how many you get correct here…
1. Who did Leeds play their first game of the 2020 Betfred Super League season against?
The Rhinos began the 2020 season by taking on Hull FC at Emerald Headingley. The black and whites took home the first points of their season thanks to a 30-4 win; Ratu Naulago scoring twice.
2. Which Wigan player's testimonial match was against the Rhinos during pre season?
Leeds forced an upset in Liam Farrell's testimonial match at the DW Stadium, winning 22-10. A dominant second half performance saw Richie Myler, Ash Handley, Muizz Mustapha and Liam Sutcliffe score tries to help overturn an early 10-0 deficit.
3. How many tries did the Rhinos score in their opening five matches of the season?
Leeds led the way for tries scored in Super League before the season was suspended in March; the Rhinos crossing the whitewash 31 times in their opening five games. Eleven tries against Toronto in March was a highlight, along with nine tries in a 52-10 win over Hull KR and there was also six different scorers as Leeds nilled Warrington in front of a home crowd.
4. Which game took place before Leeds match in the round one double header at Emerald Headingley?
Castleford and Toronto opened round one of the 2020 season at Emerald Headingley back in February before the Rhinos took on Hull FC. Sonny Bill Williams made his Wolfpack debut as the Tigers took away a 28-10 win, thanks to tries from Greg Eden, Grant Millington, Adam Milner, Michael Shenton and Peter Mata'utia.
5. Which radio DJ is this performing pre match at a Rhinos home game?
Jo Whiley lit up Emerald Headingley with her pre match 90s anthems mix before Leeds' clash with Warrington Wolves back in February.
6. How many tries did Ash Handley score before the season was stopped in March?
Super League's top try scorer in 2020 Ash Handley got four tries before the season was suspended in March. The winger was Leeds' only try scorer in the round one 30-4 defeat to Hull FC but crossed the try line again two weeks later against Hull KR, scoring a length of the field effort. He was one of six different try scorers to touch down against Warrington and also got on the score sheet against Toronto.
7. How many Leeds legends returned to the Emerald Headingley pitch for Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Rob Burrow's match vs Bradford Bulls?
Nine Leeds legends took to the field for Jamie Jones-Buchanan's testimonial and Rob Burrow's fundraising match in February. Along with JJB and Burrow, Leeds' director of rugby and former captain Kevin Sinfield, half back Danny McGuire, props Jamie Peacock, Kylie Leuluai and Ryan Bailey, centre Keith Senior and second rower Brett Delaney all ran out to support Jones-Buchanan and Burrow in front of a sell out crowd.
8. How many Leeds players earned game time on loan or dual registration in the Betfred Championship earlier in the season?
Eight of Leeds' young talent tested themselves against Betfred Championship opposition at Featherstone Rovers, Batley Bulldogs and Bradford Bulls earlier in the year. Callum McLelland, Jarrod O'Connor, Tom Holroyd, Liam and Alex Sutcliffe and Luke Briscoe featured for Featherstone while Tyler Dupree played for Batley and Rhys Evans returned to Bradford on loan. All except one went to play Super League minutes for the Rhinos when the season restarted; Alex Sutcliffe going on to win his first Challenge Cup Final.
9. How many awards did Rhinos teams win at the Leeds Sports Awards?
The Leeds club scooped up four Leeds Sports Awards for their Women's and Wheelchair teams. The Challenge Cup and Grand Final double winning Rhinos Women won the Club Performance Award while former head coach Adam Cuthbertson also picked up Coach of the Year. Leeds Rhinos Wheelchair captain James Simpson was named joint Sportsman Disability award and Nathan Collins won Young Disability Sportsperson Award.
10. When was the last time that Leeds started a Super League season with only one loss from their opening five League games?
Leeds last started a Super League season in a similar fashion to 2020 in 2018. Wins over Warrington and Hull KR gave the Rhinos a great start to the campaign and despite a 23-6 defeat away at Widnes Vikings, Brian McDermott's side when on to beat Hull FC and St Helens to sit fourth in the table after five games.