On this day – 27th September

ON THIS DAY in 1888 the first officers of the ‘Leeds Rugby Union’, formed at a meeting at the Green Dragon Hotel on Thursday September 27th, 1888 were: Mr John Gordon Junior (president), John Henry Naylor (Leeds St Johns, hon secretary), C. Ackroyd (Bramley, hon treasurer) and committee members, L. Varley (Bramley), messers Barker and Slater (Holbeck), Alexander and Whitaker (Hunslet), Kilburn and Whittington (Parish Church), Smith (St Johns), Hindle and Sewell (Kirkstall) and Heaps and Johson (Wortley).  Among the rules adopted was one to, ‘institute a fund out of which to assist any player of clubs belonging to the union who has been seriously injured, and for the furtherance of football generally.’ The annual subscription was set at £2 2s.

ON THIS DAY in 1930 Eric Harris made his debut against Featherstone and began his career as he would go one, entertaining the Headingley crowd and crossing for two tries.

The Australian winger would become famed through the rugby world and was to be known for all time as the ‘The Toowoomba ghost’. When describing him, Ken Dalby in his book ‘The Headingley Story’ said: “Eric Harris will always have a very special place in the hearts and memories of the those who watched Leeds in the thirties. His record tells a wonderful story in itself (383 appearances and 391 tries in nine glorious seasons), but figures cannot possibly indicate the thrilling manner in which many of those tries were scored, nor can it express the bewilderment of many an accomplished opponent.”

ON THIS DAY in 1998 Leeds Rhinos travelled to Halifax to play the Blue Sox and failed to score a single point in the game. The teams had already faced each other once in Super League that year and Leeds had been the victors that time, but on this occasion which also marked the last game of the regular season Leeds lost 42-0.

It was the only time in Super League that Leeds have failed to score any points in a game.

ON THIS DAY in 2002 the Rhinos played their first Play-Off qualifier game against Hull FC. Leeds had finished a place above Hull in fourth and this was the fourth time the teams had met that year, Leeds already having claimed two wins. Keith Senior began the try-scoring on the day after 14 minutes and Francis Cummins soon followed this up with the side’s second try. Ben Walker scored the third for Leeds in the first half before Hull had even scored any points.

From the restart, Leeds showed their determination to qualify for the next round and Keith Senior scored his second of the day and two minutes later Mark Calderwood added one himself. Former Leeds man Lee Jackson then pulled a try back for Hull but any chance of the visiting side getting back in the game was soon halted when Man of the Match Keith Senior completed his hat trick on 63 minutes and Mark Calderwood again followed this up with his second try.

In the final few minutes of the game Hull showed that they had not given up, but a second try from Lee Jackson and a last-minute try from Scott Logan was little more than consolation and Leeds won 36-22. Ben Walker and Kevin Sinfield – both who were sin-binned in the second half scored two goals each.