Golden point win over Giants joins list of great comebacks

The Rhinos 20 point comeback against Huddersfield Giants on Sunday night was incredibly dramatic and will surely join some of the greatest comebacks in the Super League.

Below we’ve picked out few remember, is your favourite included?

LEEDS RHINOS 42 BRADFORD BULLS 38 – Millennium Magic, Cardiff, 2007

Ranks itself; the ultimate win at the death amidst huge controversy, as Jordan Tansey races onto Kevin Sinfield’s penalty from out wide, which comes back off the post, to steal the points. For the administrators who had taken the bold decision to stage a round as a stand-alone event, the perfect finish to generate the column inches, especially as video replays confirmed that the last-gasp penalty should not have been given and the poacher was offside. Not that the jubilant Rhinos fans were bothered, especially at the sight of their crestfallen, indignant rivals.

LEEDS RHINOS 30 ST HELENS 20 – 12th September 2003

Twenty points down with 63 minutes gone, Rhinos staged an astonishing fight back to grab the spoils. Rob Burrow’s try began the revival immediately followed by a Mark Calderwood score. With the noise levels rising, Gary Connolly and Richie Mathers crossed in consecutive sets, Kevin Sinfield on target with all the conversions and to gild the blitz, Willie Poching went over in the final minute of a breathless closing quarter.

LONDON BRONCOS 18 LEEDS RHINOS 50 – 3rd March 2001

The opening match of the season in the biting cold of the Valley and within 20 minutes the men from the capital are almost as many points up, after tries to Steele Retchless, Jason Hetherington and Shane Millard. Only a desperate cover tackle by Karl Pratt on Denis Moran prevents further damage, the Broncos play maker being helped off injured as Chev Walker crossed for the first of what were to be nine Rhinos tries and a subsequent point-a-minute blitz; Keith Senior leading the way with a hat trick.


Just before the hour at Don Valley Stadium unbeaten Leeds were out of it, 23-4 down and reduced to 12 men with the sending off of Adrian Morley for a high tackle on former Loiner Marcus Vassilakopoulos. Deciding to move the ball wherever possible, wingers Paul Sterling and Francis Cummins sped over followed by Graham Holroyd to bring the visitors to within a point with four minutes left. In the closing seconds Rhinos were awarded a penalty just inside their own half, referee Stuart Cummins then adding a further ten metres for supposed dissent by Paul Broadbent. Iestyn Harris duly played the get-out-of-jail free card.

WIGAN WARRIORS 16 LEEDS RHINOS 24 – 17th February 2006

Sixteen points down at the break, Kevin Sinfield’s men produced a gritty second half reversal to seal the points two minutes from time with a Rob Burrow try. Joel Tomkins and Wayne Godwin had come off the bench to score for the hosts, full back Chris Ashton adding to the Rhinos’ misery just before the break. With Jamie Peacock colossal after the interval, Shane Millard and Danny McGuire nipped in for two tries in four minutes and Sinfield converted his own touchdown with six to go to wrest the lead for the first time and deflate Ian Millward’s men.

LEEDS RHINOS 38 HULL FC 22 – 6th June 2008

Scott Donald conjured one of the great Headingley Carnegie tries to begin a second half counter offensive that grabbed the points. Brushing off six players in a wonderful charge for the corner, the winger’s effort – straight after Rob Burrow had crossed – eradicated a deficit that had been 20-4 just after half time, Danny Tickle contributing 14 points for the visitors. Inspired, Gareth Ellis crossed twice and Donald and Burrow both added another for Leeds to complete an ultimately convincing win.


Rebuilding after a horror start to the campaign and Challenge Cup Final loss, Dean Lance’s men began a 13 match winning run with two come from behind raids. First, Wigan were seen off at home 26-19 after the Warriors had led 19-6 after 55 minutes and then the following midweek, in a game moved because of Murrayfield, the Tigers were clawed back from a similar point in the game after they led 18-6. Keith Senior and Graham MacKay got the Rhinos to within striking distance at the Jungle in front of a record Super League crowd there. In the final minute of a thrilling clash, Ryan Sheridan raced through a gap and Iestyn Harris’s conversion sealed a dramatic win.


A blitz of 22 points without reply in the second half saw Graham Murray’s men stage a Sunday night escape act at the Thunderdome. Two Matt Daylight tries and one from Steve Collins had seen Shaun McRea’s charges sweep into an 18-8 interval lead but, superbly marshalled by Daryl Powell, Anthony Farrell, Leroy Rivett and Ryan Sheridan all found the whitewash to turn the tide.


Scott Donald’s last-minute try broke Wakefield’s hearts as the Rhinos claimed a dramatic win at Belle Vue. The champions looked down and out when the Wildcats took a 30-16 lead midway through the second half with Danny Brough’s kicking proving crucial.  Ali Lauitiiti’s try helped cut the gap but a 70th-minute yellow card for Brent Webb seemed to have ended Leeds’ hopes. The champions refused to give up and Rob Burrow cut the gap to two points before Donald’s remarkable late score.

HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS 16 LEEDS RHINOS 20 – 25th September 2015

In terms of the margin of this comeback, there have certainly been bigger, but none more important in such a high pressure, ‘winner takes all’ environment. Leeds needed something special when they were trailing by eight points with eight minutes remaining – and Sinfield’s conversion after Briscoe’s try closed the gap to two points. Sinfield held his nerve to level the game at 16-16 with a penalty as the clock ticked over to the final minute, and Hall then raced in with glee on the left-hand side to secure the second leg of the historic treble.

What do you think? Can you add another game to the list, what the greatest comeback you can remember from the pre-Super League era? Send in your suggestions by clicking here.