Festive Challenge Quiz
There’s only six days until Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity lock horns in this year’s Wetherby Whaler Festive Challenge at Emerald Headingley Stadium, kick off 11:30am.
Ahead of the clash, take our quiz and see how well you know our annual Boxing Day fixture.
1. When was the first Boxing Day match played?
Leeds played their first Boxing Day match in 1895, losing 6-0 to Oldham at Headingley.
2. How many wins do Leeds have in the Festive Challenge since 2005?
Out of fifteen matches played against Wakefield since 2005, Leeds have won ten. The Rhinos were unbeaten between 2009 and 2014, winning five and drawing once in 2013.
3. How many tries did Ash Handley score in the 2014 Tetley's Festive Challenge?
Having made his debut that year, winger Handley scored five tries in the 50-28 win.
4. Which of these teams has NEVER played in the Boxing Day match?
Huddersfield Giants have never faced the Rhinos on Boxing Day. During the summer era, Castleford have played three times and Bradford once.
5. When was the first year that Leeds didn't play a scheduled Boxing Day game?
1961 was the first year that Leeds were without a scheduled Boxing Day game, a fixture quirk that was repeated the following season but has not happened since except when the John Player semi finals intervened.
6. Which player scored Leeds' only try in the 2016 Festive Challenge?
Forward and new signing Jack Ormondroyd crossed for Leeds' only try in the 2016 Festive Challenge as Wakefield claimed a 30-6 win.
7. How many combined tries did Eric Harris score in the 1934, 1935 and 1936 Boxing Day matches?
Legendary winger Eric Harris was on fire against Batley, scoring nine tries across three Boxing Day matches. In 1934 he claimed a hat-trick, the next season a brace and in 1936 he found the whitewash four times as Leeds triumphed by a record 68-5.
8. In what year did Leeds record their biggest festive score?
The Loiners wracked up their highest result in 1929, a year after the two sides met for the first time in the Boxing Day match. Aussie skipper Jeff Moores ran in four tries as the home side won 43-3.
9. Who did Leeds face in the 1983 Boxing Day clash?
Fulham made the trip up north in 1983, losing 30-6 to the Regal Trophy finalists.
10. Which of Leeds' three signings are set to start their first game at Headingley in 2021?
11. How many players will play in their first Festive Challenge in 2021?
Eleven players in Richard Agar's 19-man squad, which was announced on Monday, will be playing in their first Boxing Day match for the Rhinos. New signings Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer and James Bentley are all set to start, along with last year's signing Zane Tetevano. Kruise Leeming missed out on playing in 2019 through injury while Bodene Thompson, Morgan Gannon, Sam Walters, Jack Sinfield, Jarrod O'Connor, Muizz Mustapha and Liam Tindall appear in a Festive Challenge for the first time too.
Tickets for the Wetherby Whaler Festive Challenge, kick off 11.30am on Boxing Day, are on sale now at tickets.therhinos.co.uk starting at just £15 for members if pre-purchased and £5 for juniors.