International Games at Headingley quiz
As Emerald Headingley prepares to host the England Knights and Jamaica this Sunday, test your knowledge of the stadium’s international history.
1. What was the first international match to be played at Emerald Headingley?
On 26th October 1907, Leeds vs New Zealand All Golds was the first international match to be played at Emerald Headingley. The All Golds were also the first rugby league team to tour England, beating the home side 8-2.
2. How many games did Emerald Headingley host at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup?
Only two games were played at Emerald Headingley when the World Cup was held in England in 2013. New Zealand played in both games, beating Papua New Guinea in the group stages and Scotland in the quarter finals.
3. When the Kiwi's beat Leeds 34-16 at Emerald Headingley in 2015, who scored for the Rhinos?
Joel Moon scored twice and Tom Briscoe also got on the scoresheet for Leeds, who hosted New Zealand in a warm up match prior to the test series against England.
4. Jamaica, who will be the latest international side to play at Emerald Headingley, qualified for the 2021 World Cup by beating which nation?
The Reggae Warriors beat the USA Hawks 16-10 to become the 11th team to qualify for the 2021 World Cup.
5. In 1956, who scored a late Leeds try to beat Australia 18-13?
After battling from 13-8 down, hooker Bernard Prior was released by Harry Street and Don Robinson to score the game-clinching try for Leeds against Australia.
6. How many games in total will be played at Emerald Headingley during the 2021 Men's and Women's World Cup?
Three men's games and four women's games will be played at Emerald Headingley when the World Cup comes in 2021.
7. How many Leeds players featured in the England vs Exiles match at Emerald Headingley in 2012?
Ryan Hall, Kevin Sinfield and Jamie Peacock all ran out for England at Emerald Headingley whilst Danny Buderus and Kylie Leuluai were included in the Exile's matchday squad.
8. Who broke a Great Britain record against France at Emerald Headingley in 1991?
Wigan winger Martin Offiah broke Alex Murphy's record for the most tries in a single test. Offiah crossed four times as Great Britain won 60-4.
9. In what year did Emerald Headingley have its largest crowd for a test match?
On the 9th October 1948, Great Britain's clash against Australia brought in a record test match crowd to Emerald Headingley. Over 36,500 people turned up to see Great Britain win 23-21; the first time they had beaten the Kangaroos since 1937.
10. In what year did Emerald Headingley host the World Cup final?
In 1970, Great Britain lost to Australia 12-7 as the Kangaroos claimed the trophy for the third time in history.
England Knights v Jamaica match tickets priced from £10 Adults, £5 U21s and £3 for Juniors (age 16 and under) are available from tickets.therhinos.co.uk, by calling 0371 423 1315, or heading to the Leeds Rugby Ticket Office at Emerald Headingley Stadium. All ticket purchases will be subject to a £1.50 booking fee (excl. Print at Home tickets).