A young Leeds Rhinos side grabbed a win over York City Knights in the Jeff Stevenson Memorial Trophy at Huntington Stadium.

A young Leeds Rhinos side continued the club’s winning run in their pre season campaign with victory over York City Knights in the Jeff Stevenson Memorial Trophy at Huntington Stadium. Leeds got off to a bright start with Danny Allan opening the try scoring for visitors and Simon Brown converted to give Leeds a 6-0 lead. York responded on 9 minutes through a Steve Lewis try and although Paul March missed the conversion it was not long before York were in front when winger Lee Maplas scored a try in the corner on 14 minutes. March once again was unable to convert the try but the score was now 8-6 to the home side. It was March’s brother, David, who got the next score for York when he dived over from close range to give York a 12-6 lead. Leeds then suffered a further blow when captain Simon Worrall was led from the pitch with an injury, but after 25 minutes Leeds came back into the game when Jodie Broughton touched the ball down for a try in the corner. Whereas York had been unable to convert their tries Simon Brown was able to slot over the extra two points for the Rhinos to bring the scores level at 12-12. Before the first half ended York made sure they went in at the break in front through a David Leeke try, but March was unable to punish Leeds further and missed another conversion. In the second half both teams looked determined to get the upper hand and it was not long before Leeds got the try they had been threatening to score. James Archibald was the play maker, setting up Callum Watkins to find his way over the try line and with another Brown conversion the Rhinos now led 18-16. The game proved to be an even contest, with both teams having good attacking chances but Leeds had little time to savour their lead before York were in again, with good work from David and Paul March helping Leeke get his second try of the afternoon. Luckily for Leeds the conversion was missed again, keeping Leeds within distance of getting a win. The lead changed hands once again when Callum Watkins scored his second try for the Rhinos, which Brown converted. From here Leeds kicked on and on the 66th minute they extended their lead through a second Jodie Broughton try. The Knights showed their resilience though and continued to threaten, setting up a nervous finish for Leeds when Luke Watling grabbed a late try for York, which Maplas was able to convert. The Rhinos were able to hold on however to collect a 28-26 win.