On this day in 1999 Leeds continued their campaign to reach the Challenge Cup final with a win over St Helens at Headingley and in 2005 the Rhinos ran riot against Widnes in the league.

On this day in 1999 Leeds continued their campaign to reach Wembley for the Challenge Cup final with a defeat against St Helens in the fifth round of the Cup. It was the second Super League team the side had faced in the competition, with Leeds having already beaten Wigan in the opening round. Ryan Sheridan scored his first try of the season and Terry Newton scored the Rhinos second, but it was Iestyn Harris who was the star of the show, with the Leeds Captain scoring 8 goals which ensured his side defeated Saints 24-16. On this day in 2005 Leeds played their second home game of the season and maintained their 100% start to the Super League with a win over Widnes. It was an incredible second half performance from the Rhinos that blew Widnes away, after Widnes had started the game full of confidence after their win against Bradford the week before this fixture. It looked like their may have been another shock was on the cards when Widnes actually opened the scoring through winger Andrew Emelio, who touched down in the corner after Aaron Moule had put in an overhead pass to release the winger. The Rhinos though hit back after 11 minutes when Mark Calderwood crossed for his fourth try of the season and he soon added his fifth of the season when this time Walker nearly scored himself only to be tackled by former Leeds man Gary Connolly. However, Walker got a quick play the ball and Calderwood scampered over in the corner. The game then saw both sides squander chances as snow began to fall at Headingley before Widnes had their best spell of pressure in the game. Widnes had four repeat sets on the Leeds line as referee Richard Silverwood decided to make his presence felt. However, all the Vikings came away with was a Stephen Rowlands penalty and they were immediately punished. Ali Lauitiiti crossed after Widnes had knocked on from the re-start. He then set up Gareth Ellis for his first try for the club six minutes later with a trademark offload. Widnes did get another Rowlands penalty before half time to make it 18-8 at the interval of an entertaining fixture however there was little sign of the onslaught to come in the second half. Whatever Tony Smith said at half time it had the desired affect on his troops who burst into life in the second half and when Marcus Bai flew over one minute after the restart, from a tremendous offload from Poching, the rout had started. Four minutes later, Ellis cruised through some non-existent tackling to go over underneath the posts to further endear himself to his new fans with his second touchdown of the game. The Vikings were the architects of the home side’s next try, which was gratefully received by McDermott in the 48th minute. Sinfield’s puncturing low kick reared up off the boot of Emelio and the forward collected and stretched over. Burrow then cruised over four minutes later and Calderwood completed his hat-trick after 56 minutes as he went over following a punishing power burst by Lauitiiti. The 23-year-old England international added his fourth try on the hour – and brought up the half-century – with the best try of the match. It had its origins on his own try-line when he breezed through a vacant gap and embarrassed last man Gary Connolly to gallop over. The Rhinos were scoring with every possession, Burrows grabbing his second try to make it 60-8 and Poching completed the rout with three minutes left.