On the 17th May in the 1941 Leeds took on Halifax in the Challenge Cup final and in 2003 Leeds recorded a 10-all draw against Hull.

On this day in the 1941 Leeds took on Halifax in the Challenge Cup final. In the second round of the Cup Leeds had just managed to get a win over Dewsbury with a 6-5 scoreline, then the team took on Hunslet at Parkside and made easier work of the tie, recording a 17-10 victory. In the semi final the Loiners took on Bradford but were unable to confirm their place in the final at the first ask, only earning a 10-10 draw in the first encounter. In the second game at Odsal Leeds were able to secure the 12-2 win which was only Bradford’s second defeat pf the season and the first at their home ground. Leeds returned to Odsal for the final and thanks to two tries from Vic Hey and John Lawrenson and one from Dai Jenkins Leeds were able to claim the Cup for the fifth time in their history. Charlie Eaton also kicked two goals to see the final score end 19-2. On this day in 2003 Leeds played Hull and thanks to a last-second penalty goal from Steve Prescott Hull earned a 10-all draw. At the time Leeds were the unbeaten Super League leaders and were looking to secured two points, having come back from 8-0 down at the break to lead by two points before Francis Cummins was penalised for accidental offside. The Airlie Birds had the better of the early exchanges in the wet conditions, and went in front after ten minutes, thanks to a Colin Best try which Steve Prescott converted. Prescott then moved extended the lead to 8-0 with a penalty. In the second half the Rhinos dominated field position, but it was only a repeat set after Prescott kicked dead a Dunemann grubber which saw them finally breach the Hull line. It was a Sinfield kick on the last which did the damage, a sliding Horne unable to collect and allowing Willie Poching to collect and touch down, although Sinfield missed the conversion attempt. The Rhinos’ pressure continued after another Sinfield kick forced Horne to concede a drop out, with Matt Diskin and Matt Adamson sending Chris McKenna over out wide on the hour. Sinfield was again unable to add the extras, leaving the scores locked at 8-all, but the Rhinos were on a roll, with Dave Furner being pushed back from over the line before Prescott again collected a kick in-goal. A penalty against Chris Chester allowed Sinfield to get himself off the mark and edge Leeds ahead 10-8 with a quarter of an hour remaining. Leeds then added pressure but they were unable to add to their tally before Cummins collected a Senior knock-down from an offside position in the final minute and Prescott was unable to keep his nerve to land the kick.