Mick Cook’s team continued their unbeaten start to the season with a high scoring 42-22 win at the Shay against Halifax.

Mick Cook’s team continued their unbeaten start to the season with a high scoring 42-22 win at the Shay against Halifax. The homeside took the lead when Scott Grix found Andy Boothroyd to score next to the posts after nine minutes with James Haley converting. However, Leeds then hit back when Tommy Gallagher and Liam Botham worked the ball well in midfield before finding Lee Smith to score. Botham levelled the scores with the conversion on the 20 minute mark. Leeds then nudged in front four minutes later. Great skill from Carl Johnson opened up a gap with a sidestep and he was able to touchdown to give the Rhinos the lead. Almost straight away the Rhinos extended their lead through Gallagher, who was involved twice in the set before scoring, Botham’s conversion making it 16-6. Leeds were on a roll, and with the help of a penalty from the referee they were again in the Halifax quarter. Netherton went close in the corner but Tommy Gallagher was again on hand to stretch out and score. The second half saw Halifax get themselves back into the game when Chris Denby scored but the conversion was missed and the ten point gap was maintained. Tommy Gallagher then completed his hat trick after Carl Johnson’s break up the wing allowed Ablett time and space to find Gallagher who went over for his third try of the night. Botham converted to make it 26-10 after 61 minutes. Jon Simpson hit right back for the home side and Danny Jones was successful with the conversion and Halifax were right back in the game. Halifax were now showing renewed confidence and a desperate tackle from Botham saved the day. Dwayne Barker then got a try his hard work deserved to relieve the pressure on the Rhinos and give breathing space at 30-16. Leeds then made the game safe with 5 minutes to go with back-to-back scores. Firstly Netherton split the Halifax defence and found Peter Fox on the inside to go over. Then the try of the night put the icing on the cake as Tommy Gallagher made a break from the half way line and outpaced the covering defence to go in at the corner. Botham was on target to make it 42-10. Halifax had the last word of the night as a pass from Barker was intercepted by Oliver Fairbank who sprinted 50 metres to go in. James Haley converted and the referee blew for full time with the Rhinos 42-16 winners.