The Rhinos recorded a 34-22 victory over Bradford at Odsal to kick start their Championship campaign.

The Rhinos recorded a 34-22 victory over Bradford at Odsal to kick start their Championship campaign. Leeds set the early pace and when Dwayne Barker and Jonny Wainhouse were both tackled just short the Rhinos moved the ball out wide through an Ablett kick that Mark Calderwood pounced on to score. The Bulls then hit back through Brett Ferres with Bridge's conversion giving the home side the lead 6-4 after 13 minutes. Botham's penalty levelled the score after 16 minutes before Tommy Gallagher opened up the Bulls defence with a great dummy before finding Barker who fed Calderwood who raced round the defender to score in the corner. Nick Scruton was at his impressive best again against the Bulls his charge upfield created a gap for the supporting Lee Smith was ankle tapped as he went for line, but he was not held and regained his feet to touch down. Smith converted his own try to make it 16-6. Bradford were then reduced to 12 men when Ferres was sinbinned for taking out Smith as he chased Ablett's through kick. Smith kicked the subsequent penalty and it was 18-6 to the Rhinos at half time. The Rhinos piled on the pressure at the start of the second half and the Bulls defence was stretched when the ball was swung left from Barker to John Gallagher who slipped Golden through the gap to go over. Barker then got himself on the scoresheet after Ablett was held up over the line a quick play the ball saw Stenchion feed Scruton popped a short pass to Barker who strolled to the posts. Iain Gordon added the conversion to make it 28-6 after 45 minutes. Scruton was then injured while trying to make a tackle and was helped from the field to be replaced by Matt Carbutt. Calvin Watson was sent to the Sin Bin then for the Rhinos for backchat to the referee. This was Bradford's big chance to get back in the game and they took it as Richard Colley burrowed over from close range. Bridge was on target and the Rhinos lead was cut to 28-12 after 59 minutes. Leeds could not hold out with 12 men as Pryce's offload was juggled and caught by Bridge to go in at the corner. He was off target with the kick but it was there were now 12-points in it with twenty minutes to go. The Rhinos then composed themselves when Barker found Calvin Watson who went in at the corner. Botham was on target and it was 34-16 with three minutes left on the clock. Bradford gained small consolation, with a try that was scored well after the 40 minutes was up as Ferres followed his own kick through, regathered and despite Calderwood despairing tackle offloaded for Szostak to score. Bridge was successful and it was 34-22 to the Rhinos. Commenting after the game Mick Cook said, "I thought we were in control for most the game and I was disappointed with the amount of penalties that were given against us after we established a big lead. Liam Botham and Mark Calderwood both showed their class but there was bad news for Nick Scruton and John Gallagher. We will have to monitor Nick to make sure there are no side effects from his bang to the head and John has damaged his shoulder and we will find out the seriousness of this in the coming days." The Rhinos are expecting Jason Netherton to be back available for Wednesday's trip to Halifax, with the big second rower having a fitness test before the game.