• Leeds Rhinos
  • 18 - 22

  • Wigan Warriors
  • Leeds Rhinos
  • HT 14 - 12
  • Wigan Warriors
7th March 2020 | KO 12:00 | Stanningley ARLFC | Reserves League

Season So Far

No statistics available.

O’Connor set for first Reserves appearance

Leeds Rhinos Reserves Head Coach Rob Burrow has made eight changes for this Saturday’s Reserves clash against Wigan Warriors at Stanningley, kick off 12pm.

It’s been nearly a month since Leeds’ reserves side played their last match, after the away trip to take on Salford Red Devils was postponed due to Storm Dennis.

Forward Jarrod O’Connor is set to play his first match of the Reserves season, having featured twice for dual registration side Featherstone Rovers in the Betfred Championship. He will join up with Under-19s team mates Loui McConnell, Liam Whitton, Joe Burton, Liam Tindall and Muizz Mustapha, who scored an impressive length of the field effort against Bradford last month.

Jake Sweeting, Jack Richardson and Sam Ottewell come into the squad from Rovers as part of the partnership between their parent club and the Rhinos. Sweeting played his academy rugby alongside Leeds’ first team half back Callum McLelland at Castleford Tigers before joining Rovers permanently in 2019. Batley players Sam Bowring, Dom Horn and Nyle Flynn are also included in the 17-man squad.

Welsh winger Kyle Evans could also feature for the Rhinos for the first time. Having won Welsh Principality Premiership Player of the Season in 2017/18 after an impressive season with Merthyr RFC, Evans joined Doncaster Knights in the Greene King IPA Championship in May 2019 but has trained with the Rhinos reserves this week.

The team in full is:


Admission for Stanningley is £5 for adults and £2 for concessions.


View Live Match Feed

Leeds Rhinos Reserves 18 Wigan Warriors Reserves 22

Follow live on Twitter

Leeds Rhinos Reserves 18 Wigan Warriors Reserves 22

Picture by Stephen Gaunt/Touchlinepics.com

By Luke Hill

The Rhinos Reserves returned to action for the first time in nearly a month for their second game of the season against Wigan Warriors.

Rob Burrow had made eight changes to his side that kicked off their season with a win over Bradford Bulls, bring in Jarrod O’Connor for his first Reserves appearance.

The Rhinos were first on the scoreboard when Sam Bowringg finished off a nice move down Leeds’ right hand side. Jack Broadbent was unable to add the extras with the touchline kick.

Liam Tindall then went over minutes later with a similar play down the right hand side to extend the lead for the Rhinos. The conversion was missed leaving the score 8 – 0.

The visitors came close when Max Roberts knocked on over the line in the twelfth minute, but the Warriors made the most of their next opportunity five minutes later when Sam Halsall finished off a brilliant team try. The attack started down the left hand side with Joe Burgess, the ball was passed inside to the supporting runner Morgan Escare who then tipped it onto Halsall who dotted down under the posts taking the score to 8-6 in favour of the home side.

From the 15th minute the teams looked well matched but on the half hour mark, Leeds pushed further ahead when Kyle Evans gave the home side a promising lead.  There was then chance for to increase their score further after some good attaching play, but they were unable to convert this into points as they knocked on in Wigan territory in the 35th minute.

In a change of momentum in the game, Wigan were able to get themselves a try back just before half time when Oscar Stone powered his way over after the referee reset the tackle count and Morgan Escare added the conversion to bring the half time score to 14-12.

It was the away side that started the second half on the front foot, with four Wigan defenders pushing Leeds back over their own in goal area, resulting in a goal line drop out.

Another good attacking move from the away side resulted in a try as Morgan Escare, Sam Halsall and Joe Burgess all teamed up to put the visitors in front. Escare was unable to add the extras, but the Warriors held the lead for the first time at 14-16.

After sustained Leeds pressure, the home side forced back-to-back goal line drop outs with some delicate kicks to the in goal area.  The pressure proved too much for the Warriors to handle as Kyle Evans went over and scored his second of the game with 15 minutes to go, to put the Rhinos back in the lead.  Broadbent was unsuccessful with the kick, which kept the score at 18-16.

There was a slight break in play as the medical team assessed Wigan’s Jake Shorrocks as he went down in back play.

With around five minutes left on the clock, Wigan retook the lead in the shape of Umyla Hanley, when he broke through three Leeds defenders to put the visitors ahead on the score board.

The Warriors were able to hold on for the remaining five minutes to earn their third win of their season.