Quiz of the Season: Milestones
Our 2020 Betfred Super League end of season quizzes continue as we test your knowledge of the players that broke records and reached milestone appearances and points in their careers.
See how many you get correct here…
1. What two milestones did Luke Gale reach against Toronto in March?
On his 300th career appearance, Gale put on an impressive display in the 66-12 win over the Wolfpack, setting up two tries and scoring two of his own, which saw him also surpass 1500 Super League points.
2. Who did Ash Handley make his 100th Super League appearance against?
Super League's top try scorer Handley ran out against Wigan on his 100th Super League appearance. Playing full back in the 28-10 defeat, he made the most metres out of any player on the Totally Wicked Stadium pitch (178).
3. Harry Newman became the fourth Leeds player to be awarded the league's Young Player of the Year award but which three Leeds players have won the award before?
David Ward, Rob Burrow and Zak Hardaker have previously won the league's Young Player of the Year Award in Leeds colours. Ward lifted both the Man of Steel and Young Player of the Year in 1977 before Rob Burrow took the award in 2001. After being crowned Young Player of the Year in 2012, Hardaker also went on to win the Man of Steel in 2015.
4. What milestone did Ava Seumanufagai hit against Catalans in the Play Offs?
In Leeds' first Super League Play Off match for three years, prop Seumanufagai made his 150th career appearance. It was his 32nd appearance since he joined the Rhinos in 2019, having previously played for Wests Tigers (105 apps) and Cronulla Sharks (13 apps).
5. Who did Rob Lui make his 100th Super League appearance against?
Half back Lui hit his century of Super League appearances against his former club Salford Red Devils in round four. Lui joined the Red Devils 2016, after seven years in the NRL, and went on to play 87 times in the League before switching to the Rhinos in a swap deal with Tui Lolohea. He marked his milestone by helping Leeds to a comfortable 22-8 result at the AJ Bell Stadium.
6. Tom Briscoe's try in the 2020 Challenge Cup Final saw the winger overtake which former Leeds player to become the highest try scoring player in the Challenge Cup Final?
Briscoe's seventh try at Wembley saw the winger overtake former Leeds centre Kevin Iro for the most total tries in the Cup Final. Whilst at Wigan, Iro recorded two tries in the 1988, 1989 and 1990 Finals to help the Cherry and Whites lift the Cup before Briscoe broke his record, scoring tries against Castleford Tigers in 2014, Salford Red Devils in 2020 and five tries against Hull KR in 2015.
7. Playing for Toronto, what career milestone did Bodene Thompson achieve against Leeds in round six?
Thompson's 26th game for the Wolfpack saw the forward make his 200th career appearance at Emerald Headingley. Over eleven years, Thompson has run out for six different teams, making the most appearance while at New Zealand Warriors (58). He has also featured for Gold Coast Titans (49 apps), Wests Tigers (36 apps), Leigh Centurions(24 apps) and Warrington Wolves (7 apps).
8. How many Leeds players have finished top try scorer in the League prior to Ash Handley winning the award this year?
Ryan Hall, Mark Calderwood, John Atkinson, Bob Haigh, Eric Harris and Billy Evans all finished the League season with the most tries. Evans was the first ever Leeds player to complete the feat in 1902-03 before the Toowoomba Ghost and Leeds' all time leading try scorer Eric Harris finished top of the try charts on five separate occasions. Ryan Hall is the most recent winner prior to Handley; Hall finishing top twice in 2009 and 2011.
9. Who made their 100th career appearance against Wakefield in Leeds final game of the regular Super League season?
Featherstone Rovers loanee James Harrison marked his 100th career appearance with victory over Wakefield at the Mobile Rocket Stadium. It was his fourth run out for the Rhinos in Super League, after debuted against Catalans Dragons at Emerald Headingley, having made most of his appearances in the Betfred Championship with Batley Bulldogs (58) and Featherstone Rovers (35), and also on dual registration with Oldham (3).
10. Where did James Donaldson make his 300th career appearance?
In the match against Castleford Tigers at Emerald Headingley, Donaldson made his 300th career appearance. The second row/loose forward has made the most appearances for Hull KR and Bradford Bulls (both 79) before making his 35th Leeds appearance off the bench against the Tigers. He has also played on dual registration for York City Knights (1) and Dewsbury Rams (4).
11. How many players scored their first tries for Leeds this season?
Seven players recorded their first tries in blue and amber during the 2020 season. New signings Luke Gale (vs Salford), Kruise Leeming (vs Hull KR (CC)), Alex Mellor (vs Huddersfield) and Rhys Evans (vs Catalans) all scored tries in their first seasons with the club while academy talents Alex Sutcliffe (vs Catalans (PO)), Sam Walters (vs Warrington) and Liam Tindall (vs St Helens) also got their first senior tries.