DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Featherstone Rovers 0 Leeds Rhinos 24

27th January 2017

By Leeds Rhinos

First half tries from Jack Ormondroyd, Matt Parcell and Liam Sutcliffe set Leeds on their way to victory over Featherstone Rovers.

Leeds made the trip to Featherstone Rovers for their final first team pre-season game as the Rhinos looked to build on the win over Hull KR last time out.

WP – Home MPU

With Joel Moon, Brad Singleton and Danny McGuire not risked after picking up minor injuries against Hull KR, Liam Sutcliffe partnered Rob Burrow in the halves whilst Stevie Ward made his first appearance of 2017 off the bench.

The Rhinos were met by chilly and misty conditions at the Big Fellas Stadium but immediately took the game to the hosts with some strong play by the forward pack. Leeds opened the scoring after seven minutes when Jack Ormondroyd, who scored for Featherstone five days earlier in their friendly win over Wakefield, was on hand to go over beside the posts. Liam Sutcliffe added the conversion to give his side a 6-0 lead.

New signing Matt Parcell was impressing on his second appearance for the club less than a fortnight since arriving from Australia. Parcell shrugged off the freezing temperatures to be a constant thorn in Rovers side with dangerous breaks from dummy half and a smart short passing game. He was also alert to any half chances and when Featherstone spilled the ball coming away from their own line, he was first to react to pick up and race thirty metres untouched to score between the posts. Sutcliffe doubled the lead after 14 minutes.

Featherstone grew more into the match as the game drew on and they enjoyed a long spell of pressure on the Leeds line near the half hour but the Rhinos showed  real steel on defence to keep them out and then added a third try for good measure.

The Rhinos were dealt a blow midway through the half when try scorer Ormondroyd had to be helped from the field after being hit in his back by a stray knee in the tackle. He was left in some discomfort and played no further part in the game however the injury was not thought to be too serious.

Adam Cuthbertson, who had been ill all week and thought unlikely to play, went close after good play by Carl Ablett before the ball came back into centre field. Sutcliffe sensed his chance and twice stepped to wrong foot the defence then showed his strength to stretch out and score. He converted his own try to make it 18-0 at half time.

The second half was a more cagey affair as Featherstone looked to build more pressure with their sets and try and cause problems with the kick on the last tackle. The flow of the game was also not helped by a string of penalties in the early stages of the second half against both teams.

The Rhinos had to be at their best defensively to keep Featherstone out with a number of repeat sets on their own line but they managed to come up with the answer each time with Golding producing an exciting break from behind his own line.

The closest the visitors came to scoring was when Sutcliffe went close with another smart run near the line but he was adjudged to have spilled the ball as he stretched out to score after referee Chris Kendall consulted his touch judge.

Leeds did finally get a fourth try in the closing minutes of the game with a well worked move finished off in the corner well by Jimmy Keinhorst after smart play by Stevie Ward. Sutcliffe added the conversion from the touchline to make the final score 24-0.

In Pictures

DAM Gallery