DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Season So Far

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Team Stats)

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Player Statistics)

Tournament Record

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team A

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team B

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

There is currently no preview for this fixture.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information


Match Page - Lineups - Grouped View

Match Page - Lineups - Pitch View

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Live coverage all in one place

Live blog is currently unavailable for this match or the match has finished.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos 22 Wigan Warriors 22

1st April 2011

By Leeds Rhinos

Sam Tomkins snatched a dramatic draw for Wigan at Headingley Carnegie with the last kick of the game after the Rhinos had led 22-4 on the hour.

Leeds Rhinos returned to Headingley Carnegie to face the Super League Champions for the first time since 13th October 2007 when they entertain Wigan.

WP – Home MPU

The Rhinos welcomed back Ian Kirke to the bench whilst Jay Pitts replaced Chris Clarkson in the second row, the latter taking his spot amongst the replacements.

Wigan had Joel Tomkins back available after his ban and he lined up in the centres whilst Sean O'Loughlin was at stand off opposite Kevin Sinfield in front of the England coach Steve McNamara in an interesting subplot.

The home side had a fantastic opportunity early on when Tommy Leuluai knocked on the kick off. The Rhinos attacked the line and gained a penalty on the Wigan line. However, the chance went begging when Danny Buderus knocked on at the play the ball.

Keith Senior was then penalised to get Wigan down field and they then conceded a string of penalties as referee Richard Silverwood stamped his mark on the game. Eventually, after four penalties on the Leeds line, Wigan's desperation to find a way through led to them forcing a pass and giving possession back to the home side.

The Rhinos came close to scoring when Ryan Hall raced through from 15 metres out but he was held up by three defenders on the last tackle and the ball was handed over.

Wigan scored with their next visit after eleven minutes. The Rhinos had defended two half breaks from the visitors with some great last ditch defence however when Leuluai broke through close to the line he gave Joel Tomkins the simplest of tries in the corner. Sam Tomkins missed the touchline conversion to leave the score at 0-4.

Leeds had a couple of half chances after that but it was Wigan who were looking the more dangerous. However, the homeside defended manfully and then got their break when George Carmont forced a pass 20 metres from his own line. Leeds reacted quickest and some smart offloading opened up a gap for Jamie Jones-Buchanan to score between the posts. Sinfield added the conversion to make it 6-4 after 19 minutes.

Three minutes later the Rhinos were in again. Webb was the creator as he took it to the line before passing over the top to Hall. The winger broke down field before producing a fantastic grubber kick back in field. Buderus read the bounce well before dribbling on and touching down. Sinfield's conversion making it 12-0.

Leeds were denied a third quick try when Webb was pulled back for a forward last pass to Kallum Watkins. Then with 14 minutes to go until break, video referee Ian Smith was called upon for the first time to adjudge a try from Sinfield. On the last tackle, the Leeds skipper had put in a high hanging kick that Sam Tomkins spilled towards his own line and Sinfield latched onto the loose ball to score. However, the replays showed that Jones-Buchanan was offside as he chased the kick and a second try went begging.

The Rhinos were then denied another try by the video referee when Ryan Hall failed to hang on to Webb's pass before it bounced off the Wigan defender back into Hall's arms and he passed to Watkins. Hall was denied again just before half time for a forward pass from Senior and the crowd were left wondering if Leeds would live to regret those missed chances as it remained 12-4 at half time despite totally dominance in the final 25 minutes of the first half.

The home side struck first in the second half when Sinfield chipped over a penalty from ten metres out after 44 minutes. That had followed a bout of pushing and shoving between Ben Cross and Sam Tomkins and from the re-start tempers flared again. Jeff Lima sparked the latest row wiith a horrible looking tackle into the lower leg of Chris Clarkson. So often in recent years we have seen players legs shattered by this type of tackle and the youngsters team mates jumped to his defence. Lima was sent to the sin bin for his indescretion.

Sinfield edged the Rhinos further in front with another penalty soon afterwards and Leeds led 16-4 after 48 minutes.

As Lima came back on, Wigan were fortunate not to lose another player after a double high shot by Finch and Carmont on Weller Hauraki. As it was the challenge went unpunished and Wigan were given the ball as Hauraki lost control with his senses as he fell to the ground.

The Rhinos made no mistake on their next visit though. They turned over ball 20 metres from their own line after a good read on defence by Ablett. Sinfield produce a bomb on the last tackle that Sam Tomkins could not deal with and he knocked the ball into touch. From the next possession, Brent Webb spotted a gap and went between two defenders to score. Sinfield added the conversion to make it 22-4.

It was only a question of time before a team of Wigan's quality hit back and they did with 15 minutes to go. Liam Farrell got them going forward with a break in midfield before Sam Tomkins colleceted his own chip kick to go over untouched between the posts. He added the conversion to make it 22-10.

Wigan than got another try back through Darrel Goulding outwide but Sam Tomkins was unable to add the conversion and with seven minutes left it looked like the draw would be beyond Wigan at 22-14.

However, they got another try through Paul Prescott with two minutes to go which Tomkins did convert. Wigan sensed a chance to snatch a draw and came back down field. Eventually they were awarded a try by referee Richard Silverwood and Sam Tomkins stepped up to snatch a draw for his side with the last kick of the game.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Team Performance

Match Page - Team Performance

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Player Performance

Match pages - Player Performance

In Pictures

DAM Gallery