DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Season So Far

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Team Stats)

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Player Statistics)

Tournament Record

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team A

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team B

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos v St Helens, Monday 21st May, kick off 8pm

11th May 2012

By Leeds Rhinos

Next up for the Rhinos is a Grand Final re-match with St Helens at Headingley Carnegie on Monday 21st May, kick off 8pm.

The game has been chosen by Sky Sports to launch their summer of Monday Night Super League and it is set to be a cracking clash. Both teams are separated by only a point in the Stobart Super League and the Rhinos suffered a heavy defeat on their first visit to Langtree Park earlier this season. The game is part of the official Diamond Jubilee celebrations in the city and will also see a special gathering to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Challenge Cup and Championship Finals between the two teams. Members of both squads will be guests of honour for the game with a special dinner before the game to mark the occasion and commemorative edition of Blue & Amber being produced which will include a replica of the 1972 Championship Final programme. To book your ticket call 0871 423 1315 or go online 24 hours a day at www.therhinos.co.uk/buytickets alternatively you will be able to pay on the night at the turnstile.

WP – In Article MPU

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information


Match Page - Lineups - Grouped View

Match Page - Lineups - Pitch View

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Live coverage all in one place

Live blog is currently unavailable for this match or the match has finished.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos 18 St Helens 31

21st May 2012

By Leeds Rhinos

Leeds Rhinos suffered a disappointing 31-18 defeat to St Helens at Headingley Carnegie despite leading at the start of the second half.

Leeds Rhinos returned to Headingley Carnegie for a Super League game for the first time in a month for a mouth watering clash against St Helens.

WP – Home MPU

The Rhinos welcomed back Kallum Watkins for his first appearance since Good Friday whilst Jamie Peacock, Carl Ablett and Brett Delaney all returned to the starting line up after missing the previous weeks Cup win at Leigh whilst Darrell Griffin was back on the bench. Lee Smith started on the wing in place of Ben Jones-Bishop to accomodate Watkins return.

St Helens welcomed Tony Puletua back from injury, after he was named on the bench, but otherwise Saints were unchanged from the team that lost to Wigan in the Quarter Final eight days previous.

The game lived up the pre-match billing as these famous old enemies went toe to toe once again. The Champions looked like they had scored an early try through Lee Smith after Kallum Watkins picked up a loose ball and raced upfield and passed to Smith. However, referee Steve Ganson adjudged that Carl Ablett had knocked on as he tackled the Saints man and pulled play back 70 metres.

Leeds had the better of the early exchanges and got a chance after 14 minutes when Gary Wheeler lost control of the ball at dummy half on his own 40 metre line. Leeds moved the ball quickly along the back line with Brent Webb and Danny McGuire combining before the full back released Ryan Hall down the wing. He showed incredible power first of all to shrug off the attempted tackle by Tommy Makinson, then speed to race clear followed by vision to pass back inside to McGuire to score. Sinfield added the conversion to take him passed the 3,000 point barrier for the club.

Hall was unlucky not to set up another score soon after when he jumped to knock down Sinfield’s cross field kick only for the touch judge to flag he had gone out of play.

Saints had produced little on attack however they sparked into life after they got a repeat set when Bailey blocked Hohaia’s kick. Michael Shenton appeared to be fortunate to get away with a knock on two tackles later but Saints took full advantage when Hohaia chipped over the top and the ball bounced wickedly away from Smith and Sinfield and into Lomax’s arms. He then showed great strength to hold off Webb and touch the ball down. Makinson added the conversion to level the score after 23 minutes.

Leeds immediately went straight back on the attack but the visitors reacted quickly when McGuire lost control 20 metres from the Saints line. They counter attacked with blistering pace as Roby cut open the Leeds defence and he passed back in side to Lomax. The half back looked certain to score but for a great cover tackle by Watkins. However, he managed to get the ball away to Paul Wellens, who touched down. Makinson added the conversion to put his side in front 12-6 after 33 minutes.

The Rhinos needed a response and they got it in the final minute of the half when Sinfield timed his pass to perfection and Delaney produced a run that matched his skippers precision to blast through the defence and score. Sinfield added the conversion to leave the game level at 12-12 at the break.

The home side took just nine minutes to hit the front in the second half and once again it was Webb who was at the heart of it for Leeds. He ran straight at the heart of the Saints defence before offloading to Jamie Jones-Buchanan who scored with his first touch after coming back on the field. Sinfield added the conversion to put his side 18-12 in front.

However, errors began to cost the Rhinos possession and territory and they were allowing Saints back into the game. They finally got a score when Makinson touched down spectacularly in the corner after Webb attempted to barge him out of play in the corner. He missed his own touchline conversion but his side were back within two points of the lead.

The visitors were now asserting a grip on the game with their defence that saw Leeds fail to get out of their half on three consecutive sets. They got their reward when Soliola kept on his feet in the tackle and offloaded to Lomax to score his second of the game and put his side in front. Makinson added the conversion to put Saints four points in front.

Leeds then got back to back penalties however unfortunately Webb's kick on the last tackle saw the opportunity go begging and Leeds were left to rue that missed chance when Jon Wilkin scored the simplest of tries. Rob Burrow had batted the ball dead to force a repeat set and Wilkin timed his run to go through untouched near the Leeds line. Lomax, who had taken over for the injured Makinson as kicker, added the simple conversion to put his side 28-18 in front.

Saints eased their way out to a winning margin soon afterwards when McGuire was penalised for a ball steal on Laffranchi, after the Saints man had intercepted a Peacock offload near his own line. Lomax kicked from 25 metres out to make it 30-18.

The half back then ensured another victory for Saints at Headingley Carnegie with a late drop goal in front of the travelling fans from St Helens.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Team Performance

Match Page - Team Performance

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Player Performance

Match pages - Player Performance

In Pictures

DAM Gallery