DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Season So Far

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Team Stats)

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Player Statistics)

Tournament Record

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team A

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team B

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

engage Super League Grand Final, Old Trafford 6pm

3rd October 2009

By Leeds Rhinos

The Rhinos have booked a return to Old Trafford looking to make it three in a row in the engage Super League Grand Final.

Tickets for the engage Super League Grand Final are on sale now from the Headingley Carnegie ticket sales office.

WP – In Article MPU

There will be no telephone bookings available and tickets on Saturday were only available two per person to Season Ticket Holders, Rhinos 2000 Members and Leedsline agents and Bronze Members.

The Ticket Sales Office will not be open for Grand Final ticket sales on Sunday but will reopen on Monday 5th October from 9am until 7pm to allow the general public to purchase any unsold Grand Final tickets. Please note you can also book return coach travel from Headingley Carnegie for £15 when you purchase your ticket for the Grand Final. Coach travel only can be booked online from the Rhinos ticket office by going to www.therhinos.co.uk/buytickets up until 12 noon on Thursday.

Please note fans can also purchase tickets for the engage Super League Grand Final direct from the RFL at www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk or by calling  0844 856 1113 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.

The deadline has now passed for fans to submit the Grand Final IF Form. 
All ‘IF’ form applications must have been received prior to 12 noon on Friday 2nd October.

The IF Forms will be processed in the order in which they were received and the allocation of tickets will be taken out from the best available we have in each category before the tickets go on sale on Saturday morning at 9am.

Please note that unless you are a Season Ticket holder, Bronze member, Rhinos 2000 member or Leedsline agent then you cannot use this form to pre-book your Grand Final tickets. If you submit a form and do not fall into one of the above categories then your order will NOT be processed.

Once an IF Form has been submitted, the order will be carried out according to your directions. Please do not contact the club to try and add or subtract tickets from your order as this is not possible.

Go to www.therhinos.co.uk/playoffs for all the latest ticket information.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information


Match Page - Lineups - Grouped View

Match Page - Lineups - Pitch View

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Live coverage all in one place

Live blog is currently unavailable for this match or the match has finished.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos 18 St Helens 10

10th October 2009

By Leeds Rhinos

Leeds made history at Old Trafford with a historic third Championship in a row with a 18-10 win over St Helens.

The Rhinos return to Old Trafford looking to make it three in a row against a St Helens side battle hardened from a local derby win over Wigan the previous week.

WP – Home MPU

Brian McClennan included Ali Lauitiiti and Brent Webb in his side after the former missed the semi final through illness and the latter limbed from the win over Catalans Dragons eight days earlier.

Jamie Peacock was aiming to win an incredible sixth Grand Final of his career with Bradford and Leeds but opposite him was his one time team mate Leon Pryce who was playing in his ninth Grand Final.

The Rhinos received the kick off from St Helens and worked the ball well down field through the forwards. However, after Burrow had kicked ahead Brent Webb was penalised for a high tackle on Francis Meli. Steve Ganson soon made the penalty count 2-0 when Leeds were penalised for offside at the first tackle from the tap restart. The Rhinos showed their mettle though and defended well to keep Saints out with Webb taking a high ball under pressure.

Leeds had their best chance after seven minutes when Ryan Hall was awarded a penalty for holding down in the tackle. Sinfield kicked down field and from the ensuing move Webb broke clear but his pass to Ryan Hall was adjudged to have gone forward and the opportunity was gone.

Both teams produced some great defence to make their mark on the game however it was St Helens who finally broke the deadlock after 13 minutes. Jon Wilkin’s through kick richocheted off the boot of Kevin Sinfield and Kyle Eastmond narrowly beat Scott Donald to the bouncing ball to go over for the try. Eastmond converted his own try to make it 6-0.

Leeds had a great opportunity to hit back after 25 minutes when Sinfield produced a wonderful 40:20 kick to give Leeds possession 10 metres from the Saints line. It looked as if Ryan Bailey had got his first try of the season when Long lost control of a towering bomb under pressure from Webb but referee Ganson said Webb had unfairly challenged Long.

Salt was rubbed into the wound a minute later when Eastmond extended his side’s lead with a penalty after Senior was penalised for blocking the St Helens runner when Long kicked ahead. 

However, it was not long before the Rhinos did get their next try and it was a great solo effort by Matt Diskin. The man who won the Harry Sunderland award in 2004, used all his power and strength to hold off three would be tacklers and reach out and score. Video ref Bentham took a short period to confirm the score. Sinfield’s conversion attempt hit the post and rebounded out to leave the score 8-4 after 29 minutes.

The Rhinos have been denied a try for Ryan Bailey after referee Steve Ganson ruled that Brent Webb had taken Sean Long out in the air.

The Rhinos did not let their heads drop though and with three minutes remaining in the half Lee Smith levelled the game, McGuire had put in a testing grubber kick that Meli tried to knock dead in goal however he did not give it enough power and Smith pounced on the loose ball to score. Sinfield pulled his conversion wide so the scores were locked at 8-8 at half time.

Leeds got a perfect start to the second half when Saints allowed the kick off to run into touch and Leeds had head and feed at the scrum. After several attempts for the line, Sinfield opted for a drop goal to give his side the lead after 42 minutes.

However, the League Leaders had a lucky escape four minutes later when video referee Bentham denied Ade Gardner a try when replays showed he had hit the corner post before grounding the ball. Webb was penalised though for sliding in with his knees on Gardner and Leeds had to withstand another set on their own line, which they did when Fa’asavalu knocked on.

The Rhinos were producing some immense defence both on the St Helens line to pen them down field and also on their own line to keep Mick Potter’s side out. One such tackle came after 56 minutes when Webb and McGuire combined to stop Eastmond in the corner.

However, Saints did take the lead just before the hour mark when referee Ganson seemed to harshly penalise Rob Burrow for a high tackle on Sean Long 20 metres from the Leeds line. Eastmond had no problem with the kick to make it 10-9 to Saints.  

Both teams deserved an enormous amount of credit for the sheer punishment they were putting their bodies through at the end of a long hard season. The use of the bench was proving crucial and the introduction of Luke Burgess gave the Rhinos fresh impetus and he released McGuire to get the Rhinos moving forward. A kick from Burrow got the Rhinos down field before Gidley’s rushed pass to Gardner went forward and gave the Rhinos a scrum under the shadow of the posts. The Rhinos looked for a crucial try however they had to settle for a penalty when Keiron Cunningham interfered with Kylie Leuluai. Sinfield’s kick giving his side the narrowest of leads after 64 minutes.

Saints looked to have scored their second try when Eastmond went over in the corner. However, replays showed that Webb had made a stunning last ditch tackle to deny the youngster and force him into the corner post.

The Rhinos needed a break and it came with seven minutes remaining. Having gained possession from a knock on by Meli ten metres from his own line, they turned up the pressure. A reverse kick by McGuire bounced off Pryce and Smith was quickest to react to collect the ball and go over for the try. That was the cue for wild scenes of celebration however Steve Ganson referred the decision upstairs. Replays showed the distance between Smith’s standing foot and McGuire’s kicking boot was tiny however it was enough to convince Phil Bentham to award the try. Sinfield added the conversion to make it 17-10.

The game was wrapped up with a minute to go when Rob Burrow slotted over a drop goal to make sure and hand the Rhinos an incredible third Championship in a row.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Team Performance

Match Page - Team Performance

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Player Performance

Match pages - Player Performance

In Pictures

DAM Gallery