DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Season So Far

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Team Stats)

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Player Statistics)

Tournament Record

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team A

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team B

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm, Sunday 28th February, kick off 6.30pm

19th February 2010

By Leeds Rhinos

Leeds Rhinos will take on NRL Champions Melbourne Storm at Elland Road next Sunday in the Gillette World Club Challenge in one of the most eagerly awaited clashes in the tournaments history.

Melbourne have competed in the last four NRL Grand Finals and won the title in 2007 and last year whereas the Rhinos have won the last three Engage Super League Grand Finals.

WP – In Article MPU

Both teams are studded with world class players and the atmosphere at Elland Road is set to be electric for the second meeting ever between the two sides. The Rhinos won 11-4 at the same venue in 2008 to win their second world crown but lost out to Manly Sea Eagles twelve months ago. They are now looking to regain the title that was theirs in 2005 and two years ago.

Tickets for the Gillette World Club Challenge at Elland Road on Sunday February 28 (6.30) are now available with prices starting from £20, or £10 concessions.

To purchase tickets from the RFL Ticket Office please visit www.rugbyleaguetickets.co.uk or call 0844 856 11 13.

Tickets are also available from the Leeds Rhinos Ticket Office at Headingley Carnegie Stadium or by calling 0871 423 13 15.

For more information on the Gillette World Club Challenge, including ticket prices, visit our special section at www.therhinos.co.uk/wcc

As part of the build up the game, there is a week long celebration in the city which takes the form of the Leeds Loves Rugby Festival. There are a whole host of activities going on for all ages, many of them free of charge. Plus there are special offers in bars, restaurants and hotels across the city. Visit www.leedslovesrugby.com for more details.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information


Match Page - Lineups - Grouped View

Match Page - Lineups - Pitch View

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Live coverage all in one place

Live blog is currently unavailable for this match or the match has finished.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Leeds Rhinos 10 Melbourne Storm 18

28th February 2010

By Leeds Rhinos

There was heartbreak for Leeds Rhinos as they lost out to NRL Champions Melbourne Storm in the Gillette World Club Challenge in a closely fought contest at Elland Road.

Leeds Rhinos and Melbourne Storm returned to Elland Road two years on from their epic clash in 2008 to decide who would win the Gillette World Club Challenge.

WP – Home MPU

Brett Delaney passed a pre-match fitness test and took his place in the starting line up whilst Matt Diskin started at hooker and Ian Kirke was in the second row.

The Rhinos came out determined to put their marker on the game early on and a short kick off was recovered by Rob Burrow. It looked like Leeds had made the perfect start when Brent Webb latched onto Ryan Hall’s knock down from Burrow’s chip on the last tackle but referee Richard Silverwood said the full back was held up over the line without considering to refer the decision to the video referee.

Leeds were not put off though and came straight back. Ian Kirke blocked Brett Finch’s attempted clearance and regathered the ball 10 metres from the Storm line. Melbourne poured over the top to prevent a quick play the ball and the Rhinos were awarded a penalty which Sinfield kicked to make it 2-0 after three minutes.

Four minutes later Cameron Smith cancelled that score out after Melbourne were awarded a penalty for lying on by the Rhinos and the scores were once again locked.

The game was being played with a great intensity with both sets of forwards producing some powerful hits. However, the Rhinos were grateful to Danny McGuire for two quick tackles against Ryan Hoffman and then Greg Inglis to keep the Storm out.

Leeds were denied a try for a second time after 13 minutes when the video referee Phil Bentham adjudged that Kallum Watkins did not have control of the ball as he stretched for the line in the corner.

The game went from one end to the other with Storm forcing Leeds to drop out four minutes later and the Rhinos were grateful to Watkins for a well timed tackle to keep their own line intact. However, Leeds were forced to drop out again when Danny McGuire made a diving save that Casper Ankergren would have been proud but was trapped in goal. However, Melbourne knocked on on the last tackle and the Rhinos could come away from their own line.

The Rhinos were dealt a major blow soon afterwards when Kevin Sinfield suffered a leg injury making a tackle. The skipper struggled on for five minutes but eventually had to be helped from the field.

As he was leaving the field. Rob Burrow extended the Rhinos lead with a penalty after 34 minutes when Melbourne were penalised for interference at the ruck.

The game had been played with an edge throughout and that spilled over with four minutes to go in the half. Sub Hep Cahill produced a cowardly off the ball challenge on Danny Buderus, that could have severely injured the hooker as he was dumped on his head. That sparked a bout of pushing and shoving. When all that had been cleared up all he received for his act was a telling off from Briitsh official Silverwood.

To add insult to injury two minutes later, Silverwood awarded the Storm a penalty 30 metres out from in front of the posts. Cameron Smith stepped up to level the score with two minutes remaining in the half. 

Leeds had a let off with the final play of the half as it looked like Ryan Hinchcliffe had scored. This time the decision did go upstairs and referee Bentham spotted a knock on by Billy Slater in the build up that chalked off the try.  

Bentham was called upon again at the start of the second half but this time to rule on a Rhinos score. A kick through from Melbourne hit off the boot of Jamie Jones-Buchanan and Danny McGuire was quickest to react to the loose ball. He picked it up and raised 80 metres to score. There was an anxious wait for video referee Phil Bentham to confirm the score but it was awarded this time. Burrow added an excellent touchline conversion to make it 10-4 after 47 minutes. 

However, four minutes later the Storm hit back. Kylie Leuluai was penalised for taking a chasing runner out from a through kick. Melbourne took a quick tap whilst referee Silverwood’s back was turned and Leeds were caught flat footed. The ball was fed along the line and Luke MacDougall and he scored in the corner. Cameron Smith matched Burrow’s earlier effort to level the game up after 51 minutes.

The Storm skipper was then able to take his side into the lead for the first time on the hour mark after the Rhinos were penalised 25 metres out from the Leeds line.

Leeds continued to press for a winning score and it looked like they may have it with seven minutes to go. Burrow spotted an overlap outwide and threw a wide pass for Watkins. The winger dived for the corner was MacDougall was just able to push him slightly and he nudged the corner post as he grounded the ball.

In the final minute of the game Melbourne were able to seal their win with a try from winger Anthony Quinn bringing the final score to 18-10 to the Storm and sending the trophy back to Australia for the second consecutive year,

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Team Performance

Match Page - Team Performance

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Player Performance

Match pages - Player Performance

In Pictures

DAM Gallery