DFP – Head Script

Leeds Rhinos

2017 Super League Champions

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Season So Far

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Team Stats)

Match Page - Overview - Season So Far (Player Statistics)

Tournament Record

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team A

Match Page - Overview - Tournament Record - Team B

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

There is currently no preview for this fixture.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information


Match Page - Lineups - Grouped View

Match Page - Lineups - Pitch View

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Live coverage all in one place

Live blog is currently unavailable for this match or the match has finished.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Castleford Tigers 6 Leeds Rhinos 38

13th August 2010

By Leeds Rhinos

Injuries to Jamie Peacock and Luke Burgess cast a shadow over an otherwise outstanding win for the Rhinos at the Jungle.

Leeds Rhinos were looking avoid a first league double reverse against Castleford since the 1983-84 season.

WP – Home MPU

Leeds were without their skipper Kevin Sinfield along with Danny Buderus, Ryan Bailey and Brett Delaney as they looked to put pressure on Hull FC in the top four.

Both teams are renowned for playing attractive rugby and that was exactly how the opening exchanges panned out with each team taking turns to test the other out with wide passes and good lines of running. Leeds could have taken an early lead when Scott Donald found space down the touchline line but as he stretched out he lost control of the ball.

The Champions got their next opportunity down the opposite wing but this time it was from long range. Ryan Hall latched onto a loose ball and looked set to go the length of the field only for a good chase by Rangi Chase to force him back in field and towards the retreating cover.

However, the Rhinos did open the scoring after 15 minutes when Chris Clarkson latched onto a great offload from Danny McGuire after good work by Rob Burrow and Greg Eastwood in the build up. Clarkson still had to score the try and he did well to show good strength to stretch out and score. Lee Smith added the conversion to make it 6-0.

The Rhinos sensed a chance to extend their lead and they duly did five minutes later. Matt Diskin burst through from dummy half before passing to McGuire on the charge. He had Burrow in support but dummied to his half back partner before going over for a try. Smith added the conversion to make it 12-0.

The visitors then had to work hard on defence to keep the Tigers out. Several desperate tackles were produced before Hall and Smith combined to prevent Michael Shenton getting the ball down in the corner. Replays showed their tremendous effort on the big screen and video referee Ian Smith ruled the score out.

Leeds increased their lead after 28 minutes with a fine solo effort from Burrow. Dean Widders lost control of the ball just inside his half to give the Rhinos possession and Burrow made him pay when he ran at the line before ducking between two would be tacklers and scampering through to score. Smith converted to make it 18-0.

Castleford spent much of the remainder of the first half inside the Rhinos half. Ryan Hudson was only denied a certain try by some great cover defence by Hall after a good break by Stuart Jones. Leeds worked hard for each other on defence and drove the Tigers backwards everytime they came towards the visitors line including a man and ball tackle from McGuire on the hooter on Chase to maintain the 18-0 lead at the interval.

Despite the scoreline, Castleford came out with the bit between their teeth at the start of the second half. The Tigers were virtually camped on the Leeds line for the first seven minutes of the half after a flurry of penalties and a number of repeat sets. However, the Tigers could find no way through with them finally being dragged into touch to put them out of their misery.

The Rhinos were in a clinical mood and increased their lead after 48 minutes. Paul McShane created the chance with good play from dummy half before Ali Lauitiiti cut back inside and was never going to be stopped from five metres out. Smith converted to make it 24-0.

Six minutes later Hall latched on a loose pass by Ryan McGoldrick 20 metres from the Leeds line and raced through to score a long range special for his 26th try of the season. Smith again on target to make it 30-0.

After each score, Castleford came back up field but no matter how hard they tried they could not find a way through the Leeds line. Typically the Rhinos then went down the other end of the field and the ball was moved swiftly along the backline before Scott Donald finished the move off in the corner. Smith missed his first kick of the night but the Rhinos now led 34-0.  

There was a sour note for the Rhinos on the night when Jamie Peacock had to be helped from the field after suffering a leg injury.

Leeds continued to defend their line manfully but eventually it had to give and a grubber kick from Hudson was touched down by Steve Snitch with six minutes to play. Joe Westerman added the conversion to make it 34-6.

However, the Rhinos had the last word when Hall crossed for his second try of the game with two minutes to go. Smith was unlucky to see his touchline effort go narrowly wide but the Rhinos now led 38-6.

From the re-start Luke Burgess suffered a heavy blow to his head that meant he had to be stretchered from the field. However his team mates did him proud in the final moments when Ian Kirke produced an incredible chase to deny Dixon a certain try in the corner and sum up the defensive spirit from the Rhinos at the Jungle.

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Team Performance

Match Page - Team Performance

Match Pages - Match Information

Match Pages - Match Information

Player Performance

Match pages - Player Performance

In Pictures

DAM Gallery